If so far, the usual preferred DNS for the majority have been two, those of Google and OpenDNS , now there will be three if Cloudflare fulfills what it promises with its new free DNS service. It works with IP 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 and it claims to be “the fastest and most private Internet service for the Internet for consumers”, that’s why we’re going to explain how to use them.
The domain name system or DNS, by its acronym in English, is something that all Internet users use although there are those who do not know what they are or what they are for. Simply explaining them, their main function is to translate legible addresses , such as www.genbeta.com, to IP addresses, those in which the servers that contain the web are located.
Most telephone operators have their own DNS and their operation depends on servers in any of the cases, but they do not always work in the best way. Hence, alternatives that claim to be faster and private arise resolving those addresses and leading to the requested websites. Like those of Google and OpenDNS at the time, or Cloudflare now.
Cloudflare’s DNS solution, in particular, announces to erase all query records at 24 hours, so it would not record where users browse, and exceed response speeds. According to some performance tests , 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 respond on average in 14.2 milliseconds , while OpenDNS does it in 20.64 milliseconds and Google in 34.51. Other measurements would confirm the leadership.
How to use Cloudflare DNS
Using 18.104.22.168, the Cloudflare DNS, is quite simple since in most operating systems making the change of the domain name system is a very simple task. Now we explain it.
Problems can only arise if your operator, as is happening with this new service to Movistar and Vodafone customers , prevents it for any reason . Although the alternative IP address 22.214.171.124 can be used.
- Windows 10 : We must access the system configuration, the Networks and Internet section, the Status section and the option Change adapter options . Once in the window that will open, we will see the available network connections and we will have to right click on the active one and select Properties . In the new window we must modify the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4) element by selecting it and clicking on the Properties button . In this other window we will indicate that we want to use a particular DNS server address, introducing 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 in the preferred and alternative DNS server fields.
- macOS : In the Apple menu, select System Preferences and then Network . Here we choose the interface used to connect to the Internet, Ethernet or Wi-Fi, click on the Advanced button and click on the DNS tab . In the DNS Servers sectionof the window that will have opened, click on the + (Add) button and enter the Cloudflare DNS.
- GNU / Linux : As a general rule, we will have to click on the network icon or look for the options related to it and choose the option Edit connections . In the new window, we will choose our current network and click on the Edit button to go to the IPv4 Settings tab . In the DNS Servers field, we will introduce 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
- Android : Go to Settings , section of Wi-Fi connections and keep pressed on the network to which you are connected. In the drop-down that will appear, select Modify network , in the window click on Advanced options and now look for IP settings . Display the menu from the arrow on the right, click on static IP and in the configuration options that will now be displayed, scroll to the end and fill in the DNS 1 and 2 fields.
- iOS : Access Settings , the wifi section and the connected network click on the information icon. Now go to Configure DNS > Manual > Add service . Enter the Cloudflare DNS IPs and click on Save . Ready. If a section with an IP for the DNS has appeared directly to you, edit it with the desired address.
You can also change the DNS you use through the router , in this way the change will affect all the devices that you have connected to the network you create. To change them you have to enter the router through the web browser, usually typing the addresses 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1, identify and go to the section of the local area network or LAN to modify the values of the DNS that appear by Cloudflare, in this case.