During the winter months, you want your home to be comfortably warm. You know how cold it can get outside and the last thing you want is to come in to an equally frigid home. You definitely depend on heating to keep that house warm, but you may not know what kind of heating system that you need in order to keep your home comfortable. There are a few different reasons why you may be shopping for heating systems, like:
- Energy efficiency
- Home warmth efficiency
- Replacement of a broken down system
- New home construction and heating installation
No matter your reason, be sure to choose the right home heating system. Here are some tips that you can use in order to choose a system that would work best for your home, your lifestyle, and your budget.
To begin with, you will need to choose the right type of heating system. You have more options than you may realize and there are benefits to each of the options. Here are some of the choices that you could make:
- Furnace. This common forced air system is usually using electricity and will work by pushing air through ductwork into your home. If you have a central air unit, then you can use the same ductwork for the two.
- Boiler. This type of system usually uses some other type of fuel like oil or gas in order to heat water and create steam. The steam then circulates into the room through baseboard heaters. The boiler allows you to control the heat in each room separately.
- Heat Pump. This system is one of the most energy efficient electric options. It works by blowing air through heated coils and distributing that air through the room. A heat pump can work as both a heater and an air conditioner.
You will need to consider a few important factors when it comes to type of heater. Think about how efficient of a unit you want. Additionally, think about what type of fuel you want the unit to run on. Finally, consider if you are looking to make your home more environmentally friendly.
There are many different factors that you must consider in order to determine the size of the heating unit you will need for your home. You will need the help of a qualified technician in order to consider and evaluate these factors and then choose the right unit. However, here are a few of the things that you need to consider when choosing the right sized heating unit.
- The square footage of your home
- The insulation quality in your home
- The windows, doors, and other entryways in the home and their insulation
- Any drafts or low efficiency spots in the home
- The type of home you have: slab on grade, crawlspace, or basement
- The current ductwork in the home (if any)
- The number of stories in your home
- The number of heated rooms
- How much sunlight and shade your home gets on a given day
Choosing the right sized heating system is a must. Getting too large of a system would actually cause more problems than you may realize. It is best to have your home evaluated properly and choose the right sized system.
Whether you need to add a heating system to your home or you are replacing an old unit, you will want to make the right decisions. Not only will the heating system have an impact on how comfortable your home is now, but it will also affect your home’s resale value. Make the right choices and you can have the best system in your house.