Before establishing which the main risk factors are, the first thing we need to know is what a stroke is really. It is a cerebrovascular disorder affecting blood vessels responsible for watering the brain. It occurs when one of those vessels that supply blood to the brain bursts or is clogged. Therefore, the brain does not get oxygen flow you need.
There are various types of stroke depending on the type of bleeding or blood vessel problem. It may seem an inevitable catastrophe, but the stroke can be prevented and, above all, are the result of a series of lifestyle little or no healthy and others outside the person’s own circumstances, are risk factors.
- Diabetes: Although we can treat it, the simple fact of suffering threatens our brain as it relates to high blood pressure. On the other hand, diabetics usually have high cholesterol, which clogs the vessels and brings us closer to risk.
- Extreme-Temperatures: Over time has been observed that deaths from stroke occur more frequently during seasons in which it is very cold or very hot.
- Age: The danger of having a stroke increases significantly from the sixties.
- Sex: It is usually seen more among men than among women, but the mortality rate is higher with them.
- Have Suffered a stroke: If not much we have already had a stroke have high chances of having another does.
- Heredity: If someone in our family circle had this problem, we may have inherited.
Risk factors that we can improve
- Smoking: Recent studies have shown that snuff consumption makes us cannon fodder for the onset of stroke because it damages the cardiovascular system. In addition, if we take oral contraceptives increases the risk.
- Blood-Hypertension: This condition puts them at high risk of suffering a stroke the affected, so the strict control of it is essential.
- Alcohol: Drinking too much alcohol leads to an increase in blood pressure apart from other diseases that can lead to a stroke.
- Drugs: Intravenous drugs increase the risk of cerebrovascular problems. Cocaine also relates to the disorder, and other complications.
- High-cholesterol: Although not easy, it is a problem that can be corrected only with looking after a little more. And even more knowing that it can lead to such serious conditions such as strokes or heart attacks.
Now that you know what are risk factors that can lead to a stroke you just have to identify and correct those that endanger your health.